Sun, Nov 19|
This immersive workshop with Madrid-based choreographer Arthur Bernard Brazin enhances confidence, cultivates an available body, and elevates dramaturgical awareness, enriching your creative process.
Time & Location
Nov 19, 2023, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Monterey, 774 Wave St, Monterey, CA 93940, USA
About the Experience
Workshop Title: Sensible Struggle ~ Exploring Assumed Weight and Stalking Touch
Instructors: Arthur Bernard Bazin
Workshop Overview: Embark on a unique corporal journey with us as we delve into the realms of "Sensible Struggle." This workshop invites you to explore the subtleties of listening, navigating through physical and creative challenges, and developing a profound connection with your own body. Through this immersive experience, we aim to enhance your confidence, cultivate an available body, and heighten your dramaturgical awareness, ultimately fostering a richer creative process.
What to Expect:
- Listening and Dialogue: Engage in meaningful dialogues and connect through attentive listening within a shared space.
- Shared Weight: Discover the art of shared weight, a key element in constructing an available body and understanding dramaturgical nuances.
- Tools: Explore a variety of tools, including contact techniques, supporting points, kinetical balance, and shared weight principles.
Who Can Join: This workshop is open to a diverse range of participants, including dancers, actors, athletes, yogis, acrobats, circus artists, and anyone with a deep connection or desire to connect with their own body.
Group Size: To ensure an enriching experience, the workshop is limited to a maximum of 20 participants.
- Duration: 5 minutes introduction, 95 minutes of instruction followed by a 20-minute conversation with HURyCAN
- Description: This pedagogical encounter aims to lay the foundations of movement, initiating a path of sensory exploration, lived experiences, and meaningful connections. Our focus will revolve around understanding the motors of action ~ both physical and dramaturgical ~ as we seek to establish profound relationships between the quality of movement and intention. When to move, where from, and how to move will be the core questions we address.
- Understanding Weight and Equilibrium: Through a series of exercises and technical tasks, we will investigate the dynamics of weight and balance. The emphasis will be on developing listening skills and coordination, guided by the principles of counterweight as both a physical and spatial concept.
- Exploring Contact: We will explore individual and collective contact, using personalized and collaborative approaches to movement and relational dynamics.
- Mechanisms of Creation and Composition: Leveraging the tools and experiences gained, we will delve into the creative process. By observing and questioning from a dramaturgical perspective, we will learn to organize action goals and cultivate a more expressive presence.
Join us on this captivating journey into the depths of movement, creativity, and personal connection. Discover how to harness your body's potential and enrich your artistic expression.
We look forward to sharing this transformative experience with you!
HURyCAN's Company bio:
Baptised in 2013, HURyCAN is a performing arts project that claims the communicative necessity of movement, exploring its limits, its personal and emotional dimensions. The work expose a physical and sensible experience through both naives and trangressives games. Like the dynamical balance of a dance, open to imagination, humor and emotions. Arthur Bernard Bazin and Candelaria Antelo started a common research in 2010, later, their creations have been awarded on several occasions, in Spain, France, Germany, Cuba, and they have been performing around the five continents. Today, the company is operating as a platform, where both choreographers can develop their own work together and with independence.
Arthur Bernard-Bazin (choreographer, performer, and teacher):
Initiated to Drama in the outskirts of Paris, he then combined Theatre with Visual Arts and Juggling. In 2007 he moved to Madrid where he furthered his theatrical and physical studies within different classes and academies (like La Usina, the RESAD and the CSDMA). During this time, he collaborated with the emerging companies of Camille C. Hanson and Luz Arcas / La Phármaco. In 2011, he started an artistic collaboration with Sharon Fridman / Projects in Movement, as dancer and choreographic assistant, participating actively in the creation of several projects of the choreographer since then and until today. At the same time, born from a deep and continuous research started in 2010 alongside Candelaria Antelo, together they built and co-direct their own company : HURyCAN, whose works have been awarded by several choreographic prizes and programmed in theatres and festivals across the world. Arthur has also been leading many teaching activities and creative collaborations within local and international structures (academies, festivals and companies). Among other things: in 2016 he has been invited choreographer for T.H.E Dance Company (Singapore), in 2019-2020 he co-directed with Raúl Martínez the Maslenitsa project, for SUSS Dance Company (Moscow, Russia), and in 2022, he share the creation of le last project of Grupo RES (Santa Fe, Argentina). Since 2021 he is also collaborating as a choreographic artist with the French company Le Grand Jeté!.
Loredana Gargano (performer and teacher): Loredana Gargano, is an Italian contemporary dancer. She started her studies in ballet and contemporary dance with Angela Dimiccoli, graduated from the Accademia Nazionale di Roma, from 2009 to 2014. Then, between 2014 and 2017 she continued in ballet and contemporary dance with teachers as Claudia Drago, Valentin Bartes, Roberta Ferrara, choreographer of the Equilibrio Dinamico company, and Giorgia Sardone, graduated in Codarts. After that, she achieved a Bachelor’s Degree in contemporary dance at PERA, School of Performing Arts in North Cyprus between 2017 and 2019. She also joined many workshops with the teachers of Folkwang Universitat Der Kunste, with choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, and David Zambrano (TicTac Art Center), Brussels. During her studies in PERA, she took part at the creations with choreographers Horacio Macuacua, Mafalda Deville and Israel Pimenta (Opuntia Dance Company), Julia Brendle, Sabrina Gargano, Maria Doulgeri, Harry Koushos and Kay Crook. She is currently working with the company HURyCAN (Madrid, Spain), touring with pieces “ASUELTO” and "Te odiero" and participating in their new production : "salVa". She is also participating on the last piece of Elelei Dance Company (Barcelona), with which she already collaborated, performing an extract of the solo “Soy Madera” at the competition Premio Roma 2022 (awarded with the third prize).
Explore the nuances of listening, navigate physical and creative challenges, and forge a deep connection with your body. This immersive workshop enhances confidence, cultivates an available body, and elevates dramaturgical awareness, enriching your creative process.$40.00+$1.00 service fee